AXON is an easy to use program for configuring Magneti Marelli's range of data loggers, including ECU's with internal loggers.
PC Hardware/software requirements
Magneti Marelli Axon software needs the following PC HW/SW features to run correctly:
• Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7,8 and 10 (32 or 64 bit versions)
• Video graphics card: 1024 x 768 32 bits or higher
• Monitor: 14 inches or higher
• 1 Ethernet card or port
• (optional for usage with dashboard editor transmission) 1 USB PEAK System CAN adapter
First time installation
1. Run setup.exe from the installer package.
2. Choose the install path where to install Axon.
3. After completion, run Axon.
1. Close Axon.
2. Run setup.exe from the installer package.
3. The setup program will ask you if you want to update an existing instance of the program or if you want create a completely new instance. A new instance means that more than one version of Axon is installed in the system and every instance has a separate installation directory. You can identify which instance to update from the installation directory presented in the list of instances. If you opted to create a new instance of the program then follow the First time installation instructions, otherwise select Update/Repair then continue. If at the end of the installation you are requested to reboot the computer, please do so, otherwise certain components will not be installed correctly.
4. To avoid this situation, please carry out the following procedure before installation.
5. Open Task Manager and check if any Axon process is still running. End any such process.
How to change the path where Axon is installed
1. Close Axon.
2. Run setup.exe from the installation package.
3. Choose to maintain or update an existing instance of the program and select from the underlying list the instance with path that you want to change
4. Select Remove then Continue.
5. When uninstall has completed, run setup.exe again and proceed like for first time installation.
PEAK USB CAN adapter installation
You only need to install the Peak system USB-CAN adapter if you want to send configuration data by CAN line to a dashboard using the dashboard editor environment.
To install the drivers follow these steps:
1. Do not connect the USB adapter to the PC
2. Insert the PEAK LIGHT driver installation CD in the drive ( or download the drivers from the manufacturer site )
3. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer
4. IMPORTANT: When the procedure is complete you must manually copy the dll named "Pcan_usb.dll" from the CD (you will find it in the directory "<DRIVE CD>:\Develop\Windows\USB") to the directory "%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32". In Windows 7 64 bit version the file must be copied to the directory "%WINDIR%\SYSWOW64".
If you want to obtain the latest USB LIGHT Driver please check the manufacturer site at http://www.peak-system.com/fileadmin/media/files/usb.zip.
System files are needful to run Axon. The extensions and functions of these files are as follows:
• *.LPS a list of the physical components of the logging system and their functional/operating characteristics.
• *.CLL library containing descriptions (name and physical address) of all the channels in the system that are available for logging. Only one CLL file and one LPS file may be loaded in AXON at any time. This restriction is necessary to avoid mixing functions or channels of different systems in the same logging table.
Hardware devices and features
Axon can use the following hardware devices:
With Axon it is possible to:
• program hardware devices by sending tables,
• view Dataloggers data (channels values),
• send Zeros to Dataloggers,
• set-up Dataloggers and Dashboards options.
Connecting Hardware devices to PC
Axon communicates with hardware devices via Ethernet (ETH). It is necessary to set-up ETH PC settings as follows.
IP address PC / HW device
1. Open Windows standard Control Panel window.
2. Select Network Connections.
3. Select a connection or create a new one.
4. Open connection properties and edit Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to setup IP address and Subnet mask to values correspondent to HW device supplied.
For the technical minded out there, since neither your PC nor the logger/ECU has a DHCP server, you have to manually define the IP addresses yourself. Your logger/ECU is done through the firmware as delivered, your PC needs you to change it accordingly. Some OEM installations (Renaultsport, AMG-HWA, Peugeot Sport, etc) may have specific, non-standard IP configurations. Contact us for more information.
Define an ALIAS for Dataloggers
In order to transmit a table to a datalogger, user has to previously assign a name (ALIAS) to the device (i.e.: driver name or race number). This operation is very important, because it allows the system to recognize each HW device by the name that was assigned to the device itself.
1. Run Axon.
2. From the main menu choose command Network/Network Properties, and select the page Tcp/Ip in the window Network Options.
3. Press button Add for adding a new ALIAS item.
4. Digit the name in the list Alias and confirm modifications with OK button.
5. Select datalogger device with command Network/Select Datalogger... from the main menu, or select an item in the devices combo from standard Toolbar.
6. Open connection with datalogger with command Ping from the main menu. Icon (E) in the standard Toolbar becomes green. If the icon is red, check if datalogger is correctly selected in the devices combo in standard Toolbar.
7. The first time Axon connects to the datalogger (i.e.: when transmitting a table with command Network/Tx Table from main menu), a window appears, with a default ALIAS, that user can change.
Many loggers use TCP/IP communications these days but Marelli's addition of individual car alias identifiers is a very powerful tool for teams or organisations using more than one car or logging system.
Table creation and configuration
Create new .TPX
To create a new table (.TPX file) in Axon follow these steps:
1. Run Axon.
2. Select an .LPS file with command System/Load System description (.LPS) from main menu.
3. Open a new table with command File/New... or CTRL+N shortcut.
4. From the pop up window list select one of the devices available for loaded .LPS file. An empty table window will appear.
5. Load a Channel List Library (.CLL file) with command System/Load Channel List library (.CLL) from main menu. Channel List Library windows opens.
6. Select desired channels from the right list in window Channel List Library and add them to new table with Drag & Drop in right pane list of new table window, or use standard commands Copy/Paste.
7. Save table with command File/Save from main menu.
Configure channel properties
1. Select desired channel in right list of table window.
2. Open window Channel Properties with command Edit/Properties from main menu.
3. Set-up channel properties, as Name, Unit or Comment.
Transmit a table to Datalogger
1. Run Axon.
2. Load a valid table (.TPX file) with command File/Load from main menu, or create a new table.
3. Run command Network/Select Datalogger from main menu, and select a datalogger from the pop up window list.
4. Connect to datalogger with command Network/Ping.
5. Transmit table to datalogger with command Network/Tx Table....
Visualize Datalogger data (channel values) in DLView window.
DLView window shows instantaneous values for all channels, configured in datalogger table, as they are logged and their names in table format. This is useful to check if datalogger runs correctly.
1. Run Axon and connect to a datalogger.
2. Open DLView window with command View/DLView from main menu.
3. Connect DLView window with command DLView/Connect.
Zero function allows to apply an offset to some channels and forces channels to assume a specified value (i.e.: useful to set accelerometers to 0 when vehicle is steady).
1. Run Axon and load a table (.TPX file).
2. Select item Zeros in the tree on left hand of table window.
3. Run command Edit/Insert/Zero.
4. Configure Zero properties in window Zero.
5. Repeat points 1 to 4 for setting Zero for other channels.
6. Save the table and send it to datalogger.
7. When datalogger is connected, run command Network/Zeros to set Zero values on datalogger.
Dashboard configuration and transmission
1. Run Axon and load a valid table.
2. Select command Edit/Dashboard/Select... to open window Select Dashboard.
3. Select an item in combo.
A further node in tree on left and of table window will appear, named Dashboard.
Dashboard configuration and visualization (i.e.: adding channels, set-up Alarms) depends upon dashboard type.\
1. Run Axon and load a valid table.
2. Select node Trigger and run command Edit/Insert/Trigger/Acquisition or
3. Configure channel name, thresholds for trigger condition and Pre/Post
Trigger options in the window Trigger Setup.
.TPX - This is the actual configuration file which you set up to define what the logger is going to record and control.
.CLL - The Channel List Library. This is a list of avilable channels available in your logger system. Advanced users can also edit and add to this using Sysfiles.
.LPS - The systeme descriptor file. This tells AXON which logger you're working with so it can display the correct